[lug] domain hosting

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Fri Aug 23 15:08:49 MDT 2002

j davis wrote:

> Hello,
>  After months of crap....the first two domains i will be hosting are
> ready to go up. I have dsl...and only have on ip for now.So i have
> decided to use Apache and do name based virtual hosts.I used apacheconf
> to help set this up. I also plan on doing domain-mail with send mail
> and squirrel mail.Does anyone have any generall advice for me, or
> known gotchas that a hosting newbie should look out for.

Make sure you have updated php, openssl, and of course Apache itself
(there are a lot of other updates too, but those directly effect Apache;
openssh and bind are others to be sure you have updated, turn off
portmap and NFS abilities, block port 111, and keep port 113 auth
open/running...general security stuff). If you use PostgreSQL or MySQL,
set up passwords and block the ports from outside before you go online.
When you have it working right, keep a backup of all of /etc/ somewhere
remote from the actual web machine, even if it is just on a floppy. For
redhat:
  ftp://updates.redhat.com.

Also, it is a good idea to validate via:
  http://validator.w3.org/
  http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

Unless you want it, be sure to close down ftp, and definitely be certain
you are not an open relay (relay only where intended).

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi.com