[lug] D-Link Wireless Card Configuration

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Fri Aug 23 17:26:41 MDT 2002

I'm having a bit of a failure in my understanding of the network device
mapping.  I've usually just setup boxes with a single ethernet adaptor and
left it alone once I got that running.

In my tinkering today I've created some rather interesting conditions
where inserting the wireless card seemed to get linked to my normal
10base100 network interface on eth0, etc.

So, a few more questions:

  - My /etc/modules.conf file has an entry "alias eth0 3c59x" which I
    take to associating this interface with the 3c59c network
    module.  It seems that I should add "alias eth1 wvlan_cs" is this
    correct?

  - To start the wireless network I had originally thought I needed to run
    "/sbin/iwconfig eth1" however, this doesn't seem to work.  Evidently I
    need to run "/sbin/ifconfig eth1" first?  The "/sbin/iwconfig" command
    is then used simply to change the wireless parameters?

  - If the previous is true, then I assume I also need to create a file
    "/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1" that contains the basic
    802.11b specifications such as frequency, etc.?

More reading is definitely in order on my end ...

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)