[lug] OT: Wake On Lan

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Tue Aug 27 12:07:20 MDT 2002

I am wondering if anyone here is familiar with how Wake On Lan (WOL) is
communicated? In this case, it is the Linksys LNE100TX, ver. 5.1, but
perhaps there are common ways to implement this.

For one, is there a specific port used, or maybe a broadcast message?
Also, does this WOL feature detect when an ethernet cable has been
connected (I know the local switch/hub detects this), and run WOL just
by detecting a new physical connection?

My motive for asking this is that one machine in the newly wired house
sometimes spontaneously turns on. WOL has been turned off in the BIOS as
far as I can tell (the card is not integrated, so the BIOS may not have
complete control). The system (use the word loosely) is Win98 on fairly
modern hardware. I am trying to figure out why it can sometimes reboot.
Originally it was found to do this when turning off power on the bridge
and switch (testing UPS software), but on rare occasions it does this at
other times. My hope is that there is something I can use the Linux
filtering bridge for to at least remove all Internet influences, and
narrow the debugging down to the LAN or machine itself.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi.com