[lug] OT: Wake On Lan

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Tue Aug 27 12:45:20 MDT 2002

Mr Viggy wrote:
> Is it actually rebooting, or comming out of "sleep" mode?  My impression
> was that WOL would bring a machine out of sleep, but not reboot the
> system (unless you told it to).

Sleep mode is not used (at least I don't think it is), it is actually
starting from turned off. Perhaps I'll have to look closer and figure
out if the owner has done something to cause sleep mode instead of off
without my knowing. I was under the impression that WOL would work on
"off" power machines if the motherboard/power supply combination
supported a minimal electrical power to the network card when "off". I
know that the NIC's have power on all but one local machine when turned
off, because the network switch panel lights show when a NIC is active,
and it is active on all machines here when they are "off" (except for
the very old one that truly powers off when the off button is hit...in
that case the switch indicates the link is gone). This is where I wonder
if all of the manufacturers do WOL the same way, and exactly what the
requirements are to kill it off and disable it; having a port I could
firewall would be so darn simple if it would do the job, but I bet it is
not that simple.

> You should prolly upgrade to WinME.  98 has, well, issues.  I'm running
> 98 on my "soft router" machine (I have an internal DSL card), and about

Eeeek! [sorry :P ]

> once a month or so, it stops all Internet activity.  I have no idea why,
> it just does.  Once I reboot the system, all is fine again.  Oh, and
> this system is shut off every evening (i.e. it's not running all the time).

If it were my machine I'd make it Win 2K, but it is not mine. There is
not much hope of it being "upgraded" (or at least changed to a lesser evil).