[lug] OT: Wake On Lan

Mr Viggy LittleViggy at alum.manhattan.edu
Tue Aug 27 13:00:39 MDT 2002

Hmm, I guess that can be confusing!  Depending on the mfgr, WOL will
either boot up the machine, or it will wake it from "sleep".

In either case, I found the following on an IBM web site.  I like the
wording, "The program sends a wake-up frame..."  The paper is from 1996,
though...  And it says nothing about the protocol...  However, I would
think that a switch/hub/router cannot, or would not, send one of these
packets out.  It sounds like WOL is really used to target a specific
machine (or a bunch, using broadcasting).  If you're having problems
with only one machine, I don't think the problem is WOL...

http://www.networking.ibm.com/eji/ejiwake.html

-----------------
How does the high-level process work?  It could work like this:

4:47 p.m.
     You program your PC to wake up at a specific time. Typically, you
schedule the wake-up request for after hours or weekends, times when
demands on the bandwidth are low.

     Note: The PC does not always schedule a wake-up call; the call can
be unsolicited if the PC and adapter are enabled.

2:00 a.m.
     The program sends a wake-up frame (also called a packet) over the
Ethernet or Token-Ring network to the Wake-on-LAN-enabled adapter
installed in your Wake-on-LAN-enabled PC. (A frame is a LAN transmission
unit that includes control and checking characters, data and delimiters.

2:01 a.m.
     The adapter intercepts the wake-up frame and signals your PC to
power up.

2:02 a.m.
     Your powered-down (cold) PC powers up and goes through its normal
startup sequence.

2:05 a.m.
     Working with NetFinity or other system management software, your PC
initiates the work that you've scheduled for it.

4:21 a.m.
     Your PC completes the work and waits for a period of inactivity.

4:36 a.m.
Your PC goes into hibernation--a sleep mode (5%-20% awake)--or, with the
right software, back to sleep completely by shutting down. Zzzzzzz.

Smart PC. Smart adapter. Smart you.