[lug] OT: Wake On Lan

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Tue Aug 27 13:24:33 MDT 2002

> My motive for asking this is that one machine in the newly wired house
> sometimes spontaneously turns on. WOL has been turned off in the BIOS as

WOL will turn on a PC that is "completely" off.  Contemporary MBs have
"flea" power whenever plugged in.  Many have a little LED that comes on
when the system is plugged in and goes out a few seconds after it is
unplugged.  While flea power is present the system will turn on whenever
the pins on the WOL header are shorted.

Long story short, unplug the little cable that runs from the NIC to the
MB.  If the problem persists it isn't WOL, if it goes away there is a good
chance it is a WOL issue.

-Peter