[lug] OT: Wake On Lan

Mr Viggy LittleViggy at alum.manhattan.edu
Tue Aug 27 14:55:52 MDT 2002

Actually, depending on the game, speed is not an issue.  Latency is!

:-)

Games like Unreal Tournament, Quake, etc., send very little information
over the conenction.  However, you want that information to get there
and back as fast as possible.  Otherwise, other players in the game
appear to "jump" around the screen.

The problem with analog modems (56k) is that there is about a 100ms
latency just to get through all the hardware!  So, when I was on a
modem, 180-190ms pings were the best I could get.  Now, on DSL, I get
pings at 100ms or less.  OTOH, Sprint BBD (wireless) has speedy transfer
rates, but really bad latency.  A friend told me he can't play at all
from home.   When he does want to play from home, he uses his old 56k
modem and dial's in!

Viggy