[lug] OT: Wake On Lan

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Tue Aug 27 17:14:02 MDT 2002

Sexton, George wrote:
> It's far more likely that you have your BIOS set to power on after power
> fail. Then, whenever you hit a power blink, the machine is powering itself
> on.

Hmm...this seems like a very likely possibility. He has a surge
protector, but not UPS. However, it never powered on before adding the
ethernet card and connecting it to the network. So far it has not
powered up while the network cable is removed, but that could be
coincidence. And until we turned off the WOL in the BIOS, it would start
up by itself if we unplugged the ethernet cable then plugged it back in.
With WOL off in the BIOS, we can unplug and re-plug the network cable,
and it does not power itself on. I can see the possibility that a power
blink to the main line might trigger something that eth cable
remove/re-connect does not trigger; whatever it is though, it did not
happen before the ethernet card was added, and it has run for over a
year before this. I think I need to look closer and see what kind of
power-up-upon-power-restore options might be non-WOL options.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi.com