[lug] OT: Creating my own website & domain name

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Thu Aug 29 13:10:42 MDT 2002

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, John Dollison wrote:

> I've had my own personal websites before, usually something like
> www.attbi.com/~user52, but I'd like to get my own domain name.  Problem is,
> I've heard a lot of horror stories about people who paid way too much to
> register, then found out they could only put up three pages, and couldn't
> transfer the domain to another web-hosting company.  And there are so many
> companies to choose from!  I don't need any fancy features, just a few megs
> of space where I could put up my main page with maybe a dozen sub-pages.

Tough call, and probably a dozen or so reasonable answers.

I've just recently been trying to setup web hosting for the Boulder Judo
Training Center <http://www.boulderjudo.org/>.  I tend to like supporting
local businesses so tend to start looking there first.  Two local
companies worth checking out are <Tummy.com> and <Netrack.net>.

A number of years ago I also started a listing of local companies offering
Linux services, programming and support.  This is still accessible from
the main BLUG site at <http://lug.boulder.co.us/locallinks.html>.  This
isn't web server specific of course, but there may be some companies to
contact listed there too.  (This listing probably needs updated.)

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)