[lug] DNS resolution woes

Jeff Schroeder jeff at neobox.net
Fri Aug 30 14:39:52 MDT 2002

... So I have a Linux box (Red Hat 7.2) sitting in the midst of a
corporate Windows environment.  The Linux box is tasked with sending
mail (using Qmail) to the Windows mail server, for delivery to users in
the company.  Everything is being done behind a firewall, so all IP's
resolve to 192. addresses.

The problem is, the Windows DNS server being used by the Linux box is
apparently messed up.  It isn't sending an MX record at all, so the
mail can't go through (Qmail can't resolve the proper mail server).  I
don't have control of the Windows machine, but the company sysadmin
assures me he's set up the MX record appropriately.

When I run 'dig', I see the following (domain name changed to protect
the innocent).  Note the "BADTYPE" line, with "unknown RR type".  Does
anyone know what this means?  Has anyone seen this problem when using
Windows DNS from a Linux platform?

TIA,
Jeff

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> mydomain.com any
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 6, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 2
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      mydomain.com, type = ANY, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
mydomain.com.          10M IN A        192.168.1.3
mydomain.com.          10M IN A        192.168.1.2
mydomain.com.          1H IN NS        host1.mydomain.com.
mydomain.com.          1H IN NS        host2.mydomain.com.
mydomain.com.          1H IN SOA       host1.mydomain.com. admin. (
                                       1793            ; serial
                                       15M             ; refresh
                                       10M             ; retry
                                       1D              ; expiry
                                       1H )            ; minimum

mydomain.com.          0S IN BADTYPE   \# 20 ( ; unknown RR type
        00 01 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 03 84 00 00 00 01 ;
        c0 a8 01 02 )                                   ; ....

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
host1.mydomain.com.  1H IN A         192.168.1.3
host2.mydomain.com.  1H IN A  192.168.1.2

;; Total query time: 1 msec
;; FROM: localhost to SERVER: default -- 192.168.1.3
;; WHEN: Fri Aug 30 02:20:04 2002
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 31  rcvd: 214