[lug] DNS resolution woes

Jeff Schroeder jeff at neobox.net
Fri Aug 30 15:52:58 MDT 2002

John wrote:

> If you can't get him to fix it, it should be possible to force Qmail
> to deliver mail for a particular domain to a hardcoded IP address
> (ignoring DNS).  Akin to the mailertable in sendmail.  Anyone know
> how?

That was one of my first thoughts.  By hard-coding a hostname in
/etc/hosts, you can "fool" the local machine into going somewhere else
for a web site, etc.  But I don't think you can "fool" a mail server
because it looks for an MX record-- which is part of a DNS query and
not the same as a hostname lookup.

Hmm.