[lug] DNS resolution woes

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Sat Aug 31 10:14:12 MDT 2002

> What is a 'non-sequitur'?  Dictionary.com doesn't recognize it.

Sorry, that's due to my bad punctuation (and my Anglo tendency to just
hyphenate stuff that "should" be a prefix to my ear).

It is "non sequitur" and a good definition may be found at
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=non%20sequitur

IMHO dictionary.com sucks and m-w rules (someone has to be running a
counter out there . . .).  Try it out.

Also, KDE has a really spiffy dictionary dock applet that will define any
(?) word for you if you simply highlight the word in any application and
click a button in the applet!  It uses Websters unabridged 1913 dictionary
(which AFAIK is out of copyright) as its primary resource by default.
Also hooked into the Jargon File and others.  Nice.  Anyway, it says:

   Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) [web1913]

   Non sequitur \Non seq"ui*tur\ [L., it does not follow.] (Logic)
      An inference which does not follow from the premises.

-Peter