[lug] term session cisco

Matthew Snelham infinite at sigalrm.com
Sat Aug 31 16:53:19 MDT 2002

On 31 Aug 2002 10:39 PM or thereabouts, j davis wrote:
> hello,
>   I got a Cisco 2900 Catalyst yesterday. When i got home eger to play i
> could
> not figure out how to term into my Cisco via serial port. So, I used
> my roomates windoz box (hyperterm) to turn telnet on. In the future I
> would like to beable to program a router from start to finish with
> my linux laptop. Could some one point me to some software or a "how to"
> to help me term into my Cisco when telnet is not enabled.

All you need is a serial terminal program, of which there are dozzens.
Hopefully someone else can cover the alternatives.

I generally use the 'cu' command, a very *old* serial connection program,
but a very simple one to use.  It's usually part of the 'uucp' tool
package, which stands for "Unix to Unix Copy Program".

So to connect to your cisco, run something like:

# cu -l /dev/ttyS0 -s 9600

... and hit enter a few times.

As always, RTFM, but the sequence tilde-period '~.' tells cu to disconnect.

--Matthew
infinite at sigalrm.com

--
   "Besides, everyone knows that waiters/waitresses only seem so
    abnormally sexy because they bring us nice things to eat. If