[lug] Dialup modems and Linux

Justin-lists glow at jackmoves.com
Wed Sep 4 12:54:36 MDT 2002

> If it is a winmodem, you will have problems, though some of the
> winmodems now seem to have drivers.

It is not a winmodem (neither of them) I am pretty certain. I used my isa modem years ago for dialup in linux, so I know it will work.

> Lower case "ttys1" does not exist. Did you mean "ttyS1"?

Yes I meant ttyS1.

> Perhaps PAP or CHAP authentication is used. cd to /etc/ppp/ (I am
> assuming Redhat, but many others use this same directory), and look
> at files "pap-secrets" and "chap-secrets". Most ISP's will use PAP,
>  and it won't hurt to fill in both pap- and chap-secrets, even if
> they are not used. Failing PAP will result in connecting then
> getting hung up on. Failing CHAP might result in that, but if you do
> connect for a bit, a later challenge will still dump you. Make these
> files readable only by root, though the directory and some of the
> files will be readable by anyone. Assume your pass is "pass", name
> for login is "name", add something like: name * pass
>
> Both chap and pap files use the same thing. Try again, I highly
> recommend wvdial.

My pap-secrets was filled w/ my user and pass, I did not fill in chap-secrets though. I also tried wvdial many many times with every coniguration I could think of.

> cua devices are no longer used, ignore them. What about ttyS2 and ttyS3?

I know cua devices are no longer used, but I thought I would try anyways. I did not try ttyS2 or S3 either. When I ran wvdialconf it would only check /dev/ttyS0 and ttyS1 with the isa modem. When I put in the pci modem it would only probe ttyS0 and nothing else.

> Some winmodems will be found, and even configured. You might even
> get them to dial, but then they act stupid and do nothing. Don't
> know if those are winmodems. However, there is a twist here, you are
> using PCI. Is your BIOS set to "o/s is NOT plug-n-play compatible"?
> If not, there is your likely problem. PCI devices, when they boot,
> do not have a set irq or port address. Either the o/s or the BIOS
> must set the values. If you have the BIOS set that o/s IS pnp-aware,
> then it will not help you. Better set it to NOT pnp-aware, and let
> the BIOS set it. Where PCI is concerned, just because it is COM2 in
> windows (ttyS1), you do not know that this value will remain,
>  *unless you boot via loadlin*, which saves the state of hardware
> and overwrites windows. You can be guaranteed your ISA modem will
> not change on you, unless it is a plug-n-play ISA modem...in which
> case software is mandatory to set it, the BIOS probably can't help.

Pnp is turned off in the bios. I know my isa modem is on ttyS1 because I can get tone from it and get it to dial via minicom. So I know linux can see that modem, sort of. Nothing else will access though, like wvdial won't see the isa modem nor will the redhat-config-network probe the modem. I just don't see how minicom can see it and I use the exact same modem location (/dev/modem linked to /dev/ttyS1) but none of the other programs can see it.

> Start with /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and chap-secrets. Reboot, and as you
> get to BIOS setup, be certain you are NOT o/s being pnp-aware. When
> fully booted, look at /proc/pci, and attempt to identify your
> device. ID will not necessarily be easy, it could possibly be listed
> (as with many non-modems) as a serial controller. If it has the
> manufacturer name, you are a step ahead. I forget which io address
> goes with which port, but if you still can't get it to work after
> manually linking /dev/modem to ttyS0 through ttyS4 (ignore one if
> you know something else is on the port), you can post the io address
> and it can be compared with other docs to be sure which port it is on.
>
> Also, you might find "lspci" and "lspci -v" (or even "lspci -vvv")
> to be useful if more info is needed.

Hmm, I'll check the /proc/pci tonight as well as try some of the other tools. I will also try the other ttyS* ports. Thanks for all the help.

Justin