[lug] Dialup modems and Linux

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Wed Sep 4 13:24:54 MDT 2002

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Justin-lists wrote:

> Hmm, I'll check the /proc/pci tonight as well as try some of the other
> tools. I will also try the other ttyS* ports. Thanks for all the help.

I skimmed your original post pretty fast so don't remember what all you
have done.  I think you said that you tried something like minicom and
that the modem dialed and connected?  This is a place I like to start just
to verify that the modem system can control the modem and connect to the
server.  It also lets you see what the modem server types back to
you.  This way you can verify that the connection is made, whether or not
it is noisy and/or error prone, and what should go into the chat script.

(Personally, I think that the growing reliance on configuration wizards is
 starting to make Linux a bit harder rather than easier to use.  It is a
 double edged sword.)

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)