[lug] Dialup modems and Linux

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Wed Sep 4 14:41:11 MDT 2002

> Pnp is turned off in the bios. I know my isa modem is on ttyS1 because I
can get tone from it and get it to dial via minicom. So I know linux can
see that modem, sort of. Nothing else will access though, like wvdial
won't see the isa modem nor will the redhat-config-network probe the
modem. I just don't see how minicom can see it and I use the exact same
modem location (/dev/modem linked to /dev/ttyS1) but none of the other
programs can see it.

I find it suspicious that you don't get any login prompt when you connect
via minicom.  Clearly no scripts will run in this case.

Is it possible that "other programs" can't access /dev/ttyS1 due to
filesystem permissions?

Have you tried (look away "cool guys") running linuxconf as root,
configuring the dialup stuff, then doing "ifup ppp0" still as root?

-Peter