[lug] Dialup modems and Linux

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Wed Sep 4 21:05:22 MDT 2002

Justin-lists wrote:
> Yes, the first thing I did was try to get minicom working. It
> appeared
to work, but ultimately failed. I set the config in minicom to
/dev/modem, which at the time was linked to /dev/ttyS1. Modem settings
were 115200, 8n1, etc...I made an entry in the dial pad or whatever it
is for my ISP. I set minicom to dial, got dialtone, heard the number
being entered, got modem connection sounds and all that good stuff.
Immediatly after the modem tones stopped, I could hear the modem hang
up, you know that little "click" sound? But minicom reported nothing in
the window it was being run in. It just timed out and would try to
redial. I cannot remember exactly what the syslog showed for an error,
I'll have to reproduce it tonight. I recall having this same behavior
when I used dialup years ago, but I can't remember what I did to get
things working.

> I guess that is the best place to begin things tonight, if I can get
around to it, hehe. Atleast the isa modem semi works with minicom...

As Wayde mentioned, for this particular modem, it sounds more and more
like authentication. There may be something else in the way, perhaps a
serial port setting meant it couldn't authenticate right even if it had
the settings...but most likely I would say that it was a software
response such as password that was missing in the initial exchange. You
were very close to getting it working at that point.

On thing you may find useful to post, in addition to all of the stuff
from earlier about /proc/pci and lspci, is the output of "setserial -a
/dev/modem" (or any device you are curious about that is a serial
port...this "-a" by itself means it prints all of the current settings
for viewing).

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi.com