[lug] scrollmouse and xemacs

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Thu Sep 5 11:56:26 MDT 2002

Todd> Looking at the source, it says to add the following lines to my
Todd> .emacs file:

Todd> ;; (autoload 'mwheel-install "mwheel" "Enable mouse wheel support.")
Todd> ;; (mwheel-install)

Todd> I tried doing this with both my .emacs and .xemacs-options
Todd> files.

XEmacs will normally look at .emacs for its initialization.  More
recent versions actually offer to split that up for you, and end up
using ~/.xemacs/init.el or similar -- but it does leave some
compatibility glue in ~/.emacs, if I remember correctly.

Todd> I even tried it removing the ;; at the beginning of each line.

As someone else already pointed out, those semicolons are lisp comment
characters, so you'd have to remove them anyway.

It's a little strange that the instructions specify using autoload; if
you're going to use it immediately, it's silly to do a lazy load.
Here's what's been in my .emacs file for years:

(require 'mwheel)
(mwheel-install)

You can see the rest of my .emacs file at:

   http://slinky.scrye.com/~tkil/.emacs

Todd> Everytime I launch xemacs, I don't notice any errors,

Dire errors should have stopped the init process.  You can see if
there were any subtle errors by looking in the *Messages* buffer (on
some versions of emacs, it's actually " *Messages*"... hm, on this
version of xemacs, it's actually " *Message-Log*")  You can switch
buffers with C-x b:

   C-x b SPC *Message TAB RET

should do the trick -- if not, C-g out of that, and try it again with
no SPC.

Todd> I never have gotten used to lisp, and will probably never be an
Todd> (x)emacs guru.

It's not that bad of a language, really -- and the power of the
primitives inside an editor is quite amazing.  I've never regretted
learning elisp, and the amount you need to handle typical
configuration file issues is pretty small.  Check out the lispref info
document and the pages on initialization in the xemacs info manual.

t.