[lug] Reboot Problem

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Thu Sep 5 13:35:41 MDT 2002

  Clean
  DocumentEmail

  MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

 /* Style Definitions */
 table.MsoNormalTable
        {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
        mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
        mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
        mso-style-noshow:yes;
        mso-style-parent:"";
        mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
        mso-para-margin:0in;
        mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
        mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
        font-size:10.0pt;
        font-family:"Times New Roman";}

I have a server that has been running RedHat
7.2 for several months with no problems. I restarted a daemon last evening
and
now the server reboots itself indiscrimantly: on
start of Gnome, on start of terminal shells, on start of daemons… I do
not think it is a file system problem. Sometimes Gnome will start with very
erratic mouse behaviour (uncontrollable) which leads
me to believe it is an X corruption, but other times it starts fine. Very
strange behavior. Anyone care to take a shot on the
problem and (most importantly) a fix (I do not want to rebuild the server).

Regards,

Bill Wimsatt

Seriously, this is the ugliest message I have ever seen in my life.
Sending HTML email to mailing lists really has an impact on how people on
the list perceive you . . .

Anyway, 10:1 it's a hardware issue.  Try dropping the drive in a similar
box and/or put a spare drive in the Linux box and put an OS on it for
testing.

-Peter