[lug] LinuxJournal: Introducing the Open Cluster Framework

Alan Robertson alanr at unix.sh
Thu Sep 5 19:02:17 MDT 2002

J. Wayde Allen wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, John Dollison wrote:
>

>>Linux should be an abysmal failure. It breaks every single known rule
>>of software development."
>>

> Does it really ... I'm not so sure?  Perhaps the emerging rules of
> intellectual property are breaking the rules of meaningful human
> interaction ...?

Rich did a pretty good job of quoting me, compressing down many hours of
interviews into a relatively short article.  He didn't always do a perfect
job of capturing my thoughts or words though.  And even when he did a good
job, I might not have stated it completely clearly.

In this case what I meant was more like if you look at what is taught in
software engineering classes, the vast majority of formal methods taught as
being necessary for quality software development are wildly at variance with
normal Linux practices.  Since I had seen a lot of really good software
developers and even a few great ones, NONE of them followed any of these
formalisms.  Yet they produced much better code than others - even those who
followed more rigorous formal procedures.  Linux captures the simple idea
that good people when properly motivated and left to their own devices
produce good work.

The "surgical team" model is the only exception I know of.

It also borrows from more normal human endeavors things like
apprenticeships, and cooperation, etc.

	-- Alan Robertson
	   alanr at unix.sh