[lug] Ethernet sound card

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Thu Sep 5 21:33:33 MDT 2002

> So, I don't get it...  What *are* you looking for?  It sounds like you
> want some "adapter" that will take audio from your PC and play it on
> your stereo.

Yup.

The key things are:

1. It only takes one type of input (44.whatever PCM or whatever CDs use)
2. It IS NOT a "client" it is a peripheral device.

> It sounds like you want really long RCA, or fiber cables...

Well, I specifically addressed the "long RCA" cable plan in my initial post.

Sound cards interfaced to the PC via ISA, then PCI.  Now there are USB
"cards."  Probably fire-wire too.  Why not Ethernet?

As to /why/ Ethernet, it's cheap, has ample bandwidth, and can do long runs.

Notice that I'm talking about raw Ethernet frames, not IP over Ethernet.
Notice that I'm not talking about CPUs or codecs.

Maybe it is a stupid idea, but it would have all the advantages of the
Extigy (USB sound "card", which Creative is actually selling) with the
added capability of being at the other end of the house, or the other side
of an 802.11b cloud.  It would be "future proof" in terms of codecs, you
wouldn't have to worry about Turtle Beach going under and/or never
releasing FLAC firmware or something.

The biggest problem seems to be that I can't communicate what I am
thinking.  :-(

-Peter