[lug] Ethernet sound card

Bill Wimsatt bwimsatt at coraccess.com
Fri Sep 6 08:50:52 MDT 2002

Of note, there are several companies working on IP speakers. This would
be lowest end network type of device. GE Smart had some, but they have
been consumed by GE/Interlogix and the product may never see the light
of day.

Another approach is really just an IR blaster. There are lots on the
market that are serial controlled. Look at SmartHome.com or
HomeToys.com. One device you can look at is the Xantech IR/Serial
controller. Another is the Slink-E controller from Nirvis.com

BTW, we have done a lot of work with Linux control of audio equipment.
We have worked with Nirvis Slink-E, Arrakis (here in Loveland, CO),
Request Multimedia ARQ (uses QNX as the OS, BTW), TurtleBeach AudioTron,
and several others. There is a lot happening in this space and CEDIA
(late September) will see a lot of announcements.

Regards,
Bill