[lug] Linux install fest

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Fri Sep 6 12:19:50 MDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 10:58, Scott Herod wrote:

> Hello,
>
> While I'm pretty comfortable installing linux, I was wondering if someone
> would help me learn to create an installation disk.  Bootable, I can do
> but I want to learn to make a CD that can be used to create a file system
> and install the OS.  Would someone be willing to help me at the install
> fest?

Hi Scott,

This is fairly easy.  If I have some time at the Ifest, I'll try to help
you.  To get up to speed, I suggest you read the man pages for mkisofs,
in particular the "El Torito" (-b) options.  Basically, the El Torito
feature allows you to embed one or more "virtual" 1.44M floppy images on
the cdrom.  These floppy images can then be booted by the atapi
hardware.  Basically, it emulates a boot floppy.  And note that you will
need to have (or create) at least one bootable floppy image in order to
create the bootable CDR.

See ya at the Ifest!

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/edhill.php
Golden, CO  80401          |  Phone:  303-273-3483    Fax: 303-273-3311