[lug] redhat beta musings

Alan Robertson alanr at unix.sh
Fri Sep 6 12:20:48 MDT 2002

Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> j> quick dumb question. no mp3 support? wha..? This is just for beta
> j> right?
>
> nope. No mp3 support will ship with redhat from now on. I am sure
> debian and SuSe and the others will follow suit.
>
> The people who hold the patent for mp3 have decided to start charging
> about 75 cents per decoder. This makes it non free software...

As far as I knew, the patents only covered the encoders.  I've never heard
about patents covering the decoders...  I see the reference to slashdot.

The mp3 page says that 0.75 covers patents and software  - or just patents.
  It was my understanding that players don't violate the patents.

	-- Alan Robertson
	   alanr at unix.sh