[lug] Dialup modems and Linux

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Fri Sep 6 14:10:20 MDT 2002

On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Justin-lists wrote:

> I remember configuring linux to look for "sername", once it saw that
> it would pass the username to the server, then wait for "password" or
> whatever and then send the password. But I don't know how to configure
> that with just minicom...

What you are describing is the details of the ppp chat script.  Basically
the server says "username" and you send the username.  The use of
"sernam" is to minimize the effect of noise and dropped characters on the
line.

In any case, minicom is simply a terminal program.  It will dial the
modem, and give you a screen to view the characters sent and received.
It won't start ppp nor will it run a chat script as you are expecting.

This is also why one usually starts by getting minicom to work.  If it
dials the modem then the hardware is probably working.  If you don't see
anything in the terminal window then you've most likely got problems with
the link to the server.  If you can see the login from the server then you
can manually type in the username and password to see if that works.  If
that works you can manually type in the command to start ppp on both sides
of the link.  If that all works, then you can configure your ppp chat
script to automate the login process. etc...

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)