[lug] Dialup modems and Linux

Chan Kar Heng karheng at softhome.net
Sat Sep 7 10:16:58 MDT 2002

here're some things to check... they're pretty basic.. and you'd probably
know them all pretty well... but worth a try anyway.

typing atz or at&v in minicom would produce response from the modem,
with OK or the modem settings displayed respectively..

with the modem plugged in and minicom running, a call to that line
should cause the screen to display something like "RING"?

is anything else using IRQ3 on your machine? (assuming your COM2
*is* using IRQ3...)

thing is, actually, the lack of response from minicom and some other
programs seem to indicate an IRQ config problem for your modem..
but since it's on COM2... it should be pretty standard and should work fine..

last case to try.. have a friend use minicom... with a working modem of
course.. :)   and then you try dialing your friend using minicom. try the
other way too... it should work and u ought to be able to see what each
other type and more if local echo is turned on.