[lug] "New" wireless internet?

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Sun Sep 8 00:06:53 MDT 2002

* John Starkey (jstarkey at advancecreations.com) wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-09-07 at 17:05, rise wrote:
>
> > > Weird thing about Qwest with my home is, my CO is wired for DSL already
> > > and I am close enough for SDSL (according to dslreports.com). But Qwest
> > > says I don't qualify *sigh* I don't see how it could be my line because
> > > the house is only a year old...oh well.
> >
> > Check with someone at a CLEC DSL provider - Qwest will tell you don't
> > qualify if they currently can't provice service, but I've heard of
> > numerous instances (and experienced a few myself) where New Edge or Covad
> > could get DSL in when Qwest couldn't.
>
> I second that.
>
> I was unable to qualify for DSL when I moved to Evergreen, due to an
> outdated switch. Qwest replaced it on the target date, but weren't
> offering DSL, so I thought the switch was delayed (I spoke to someone
> that had no clue about the switch upgrade).
>
> Two days later Megapath called to fulfill a previously delayed order and
> had me running within a week.

Such is the nature of Qwest.  The person that called you might not even
know what a switch is.  An outdated switch is actually a rare reason for
not being ablt to have DSL.  In the case of Evergreen, it was not really
outdated.  It was a remote switch -- all of the muscle for the switch
is in Golden.  I don't work there any more, but I doubt they upgraded
the switch.  Maybe, but if I remember right, the were working on getting
DSL to work through the remote.  That may have been what happened.

Tim