[lug] Installfest!

Ryan Kirkpatrick linux at rkirkpat.net
Sun Sep 8 06:47:07 MDT 2002

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Ferdinand Schmid wrote:

> It may be a safe bet to download the ISOs for SuSE Sparc.  To the best
> of my knowledge they are the only ones who still support Sparc.  RH is
> dated - I don't know the state of affairs for Debian.
> Sparc ISOs are free from SuSE.
> ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/sparc/current/iso

	The Debian support for Sparc is quite current and up to
date. Debian 3.0, which was just released in the last month or so,
includes full support for Sparc. I am running it on a couple of Sparc 10s
and 20s without a problem. Two recommedations for Linux on Sparc32
(10s/20s, and older):

  *) Stick with the 2.2.x kernels unless you like living on the edge.
2.4.x is still a bit unstable on Sparc32 hardware, especially SMP
hardware.

  *) Recompile the libssl library for SparcV8 (Sun4m architecture,
Classic/LX/5/10/20). This will allow current versions of SSH to run much
quicker. Otherwise you will be waiting a minute or two for SSH logins to
even a fast Sparc 20, as the library was built to run on old Sun4c
hardware (Sparc IPC/IPX). See the debian-sparc mailing list archives for
details on this.

TTYL.

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |