[lug] KDE question

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Sun Sep 8 09:27:30 MDT 2002

Drew Lane wrote:

>> You could just put this text file in your
>> desktop:
>>
>> --------------- (Contents of file follows)
>> [Desktop Entry]
>> Name=Home
>> Comment=Personal Files
>> Exec=kfmclient openProfile filemanagement
>> Icon=kfm_home
>> Type=Application
>> ---------------
>>

> OK, I did this and it worked - thanks!
>
> With respect to the error message I was receiving:
>
> Could not read /
>
> I think this was just because I had the Konqueror
> file browser side bar defaulting to Services>Audio CD Browser
> Is this the correct error message when there is no audio CD in the drive?

No idea.

> Also, I had a look in "/etc/skel" but the directory was empty!
> Yikes, did I mess something else up?

Several packages create files in /etc/skel/, at least if Redhat is what
you are using. Is this RH you are talking about? If so, then it looks
like you manually deleted it, or are not viewing "hidden" dot files
(files starting with "."). Using ls does not show those, use "ls -aF".
If you still do not see files, then you deleted them. bash provides
files here, kdebase provides files here, emacs provides files here; so
to have no files here, you would have to either have none of the above
on the system (and you most certainly have bash), or your ls command was
incomplete and did not show them.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi.com