[lug] [OT] More SunOS, Solaris, crypt() and MD5

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Sun Sep 8 10:15:19 MDT 2002

In glibc Linux, using the special salt to crypt() that begins with "$1$"
causes the single DES to instead be replaced with MD5 as the hash algo.
It seems from the man page for crypt() on Solaris that MD5 is not
available. Is there another common function which provides MD5 or strong
hash? I can't imagine any semi-modern system not using strong hashes for
passwords these days, I'm wondering what non-free commercial UNIX-like
systems use?

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi.com