[lug] WINE

Michael Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Mon Sep 9 09:15:56 MDT 2002

On Sun, 2002-09-08 at 15:09, Drew Lane wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone could tell me there
> experiences with WINE?  Does it work well?

I bought Crossover Office from codeweavers.org just to run outlook.  I
have had very few problems with it.  The latest version is certified to
work with all the MS Office apps and quicken.  Quickbooks is said to
work imperfectly.

Crossover Office is just Wine with some nice UI and configuration code.
CodeWeavers selectively applies patches to optimize the Office
experience.  I recommend it.

The nice thing about something like Crossover Office is that companies
(and the IT department) understand it.  They actually like buying
software for you--it proves that they are useful.  I have never had a
problem getting it funded.

--Michael