[lug] BLUG archive library?

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Mon Sep 9 13:29:32 MDT 2002

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Bear Giles wrote:

> Is there a BLUG archive library?

To date there is no "official" library.  This was something that was
discussed back during the formative months of the BLUG.

There are a number of problems inherent with maintaining an "archive":

   - Who maintains it?
   - Where is it located?  Space matters!
   - How does one make the contents of this archive available?
   - How can such an archive be kept current?

When we were looking at the possibility of creating a library archive I
actually approached the DOC Boulder Labs Library and the Boulder Public
Library with the idea of setting up a special collection at either
location.  Neither facility could justify storage of such materials.

One significant problem is that the Linux world is very changeable.
Essentially every book, article, or CD is outdated by the time it is
printed, let alone by the time it gets donated to the users group.  This
tends to limit the value of a library archive.

> I need to clear out my own archive library, and thought BLUG might be
> interested.  By "archive library" I'm referring to the dead-tree version
> of Linux-interest magazines that can be referenced for anything from
> patent claims to the annoying claims of the microsofties.  The material
> may no longer be available on the web, or might be admissible as evidence
> since it could have easily been modified.  In other words, the type of
> stuff that somebody in every LUG should have in their basement or spare
> bedroom, even if it's rarely taken to the BLUG meetings.

<Chuckling> OK, so if it is what somebody in every LUG should have in
their basement why are you getting rid of it <wink>?  I do like the
historical spin you put on this though.

The most workable solution we came up with regarding a BLUG specific
archive was the possibility of creating a web listing of materials that
BLUG members would be willing to share.  Basically, if John Doe had a book
he was willing to loan out, we'd put the name of the book and his contact
information on the web.  Then members could contact him to see about
borrowing his book.  The actual loan of the book would be between him and
anyone wishing to borrow it.

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)