Lab Books was Re: [lug] BLUG archive library?

Evelyn Mitchell efm at tummy.com
Mon Sep 9 14:06:02 MDT 2002

* On 2002-09-09 20:02 John E. Koontz <koontz at boulder.nist.gov> wrote:
> At 01:29 PM 9/9/2002 -0600, you wrote:

> I don't happen to see a general solution
> either, though the issue of producing certificated, timestamped material
> that might be admissible strikes me as an interesting one:  how to produce
> an admissible or potentially admissible electronic version of the lab book?

There are several projects for Electronic Lab books. They use the technique
of signing a page cryptographically, and then having the witnesses sign the
signed page with their key. That way, if the original author was to change
the page, they'd have to collude with the witnesses. Some of the projects
use an uninterested 3rd party to sign everything that happens along the
way, reducing even the possiblity of collusion.

Search Google for "Electronic Lab Notebook" to find both commercial and
Open Source projects.

                            http://www.tummy.com/