Lab Books was Re: [lug] BLUG archive library?

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Mon Sep 9 14:48:02 MDT 2002

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Evelyn Mitchell wrote:

> * On 2002-09-09 20:02 John E. Koontz <koontz at boulder.nist.gov> wrote:
> > At 01:29 PM 9/9/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>
> > I don't happen to see a general solution
> > either, though the issue of producing certificated, timestamped material
> > that might be admissible strikes me as an interesting one:  how to produce
> > an admissible or potentially admissible electronic version of the lab book?
>
> There are several projects for Electronic Lab books. They use the technique
> of signing a page cryptographically, and then having the witnesses sign the
> signed page with their key.

Yes, and in some ways the electronically signed material is more secure
than printed material.  NIST uses electronic signatures on a number of
their sets of standard reference data for obvious reasons.

In this particular case I don't think the problem is so much verifying the
validity of historical material as it is having a place and/or a desire to
store it.

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)