[lug] [OT]Consulting Question

Matthew Snelham infinite at sigalrm.com
Tue Sep 10 19:07:10 MDT 2002

On 10 Sep 2002 06:50 PM or thereabouts, svq wrote:
> Since I have been unemployed since the beginning of the year, I have
> been consulting for a couple of differnt companies. I have been asked
> to consult with a company from out of state. I am suppose to go to
> their location and meet with them for one day, then return to
> Colorado and complete the job from my home. Should I expect to be paid
> travel time at my full fee, or is this unreasonable on my part?
> svq

Reasonable.

Yes, you should definitely charge for the time you spend meeting with them.
It's a consulation.  Full hourly is to be expected.  Travel cost
rembursement should always be agreed about on the front-end....  blah, blah
blah.

I usually charge full rate for travel time during business hours. 6 AM -> 8
PM, and half-time for the rest of it.   But again, that's a matter I
arrange with the client beforehand.

A few times, I've had clients that didn't want to pay for travel time as a
line item, so I agreed not to bill them separately for that... but the hours
work out the same at the end, if you know what I mean.

Your time is your commodity.  It's always fair to bill for it.

A consultant who's been in three states today, and should NOT have had that
fourth cup of coffee,
--Matthew
infinite at sigalrm.com

--
   "Besides, everyone knows that waiters/waitresses only seem so
    abnormally sexy because they bring us nice things to eat. If