[lug] Permission denied attempting to run setiathome

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Wed Sep 11 10:32:45 MDT 2002

Franklin Bowen wrote:
> Unix oldie but Linux newbie and I'm obviously missing something.
>
> I think it's a vfat issue because I moved the executable to /root, chmod u+x
> and it runs.  But I can't chmod +x the executable on the vfat partition (I
> assume due to vfat limitations).  I can write to this directory because I
> extracted setiathome from the .tar file.

vfat doesn't support permissions (or security for that matter). You can
mount a vfat partition and all files are owned and chmod by a fixed
rule. You can alter who it is mounted as, and the umask, at the time of
mounting. For example, the following would make user ID (see /etc/passwd
for who an ID belongs to) 1234 and group ID 2468 on /mnt/public/ if hda1
is the partition (and public would have read/exec perms, but only owner
would have write perms):
  mount -t vfat -ouid=1234,gid=2468,umask=7022 /dev/hda1 /mnt/public

You could leave it as owned by root, and set the umask and it could then
be readable.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi.com