[lug] Clustering and GFS

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Thu Sep 12 15:17:35 MDT 2002

Jeff Schroeder wrote:
> Alan wrote:
>

>>PVS is very fast, very cheap, but not robust with respect to crashes.
>> It depends on what your needs are.  For scientific clustering in
>>non-critical environments, it's the most popular choice.
>

> Thanks to everyone who sent links and suggestions.  I like the look of
> PVFS, but run into two problems: (1) the client insists on GFS, and (2)
> the shared disk has to support a *sustained* data transfer rate in
> excess of 100 MB/s... ouch.

That kind of sustained rate means the use of RAID. If your files are
large, the XFS filesystem overlaid with something other system would be
a good choice, e.g., OpenAFS I believe is a layer on top of the
underlying system, similar to NFS being a network layer on top of
anything else. I know you are not allowed to use OpenAFS, I am curious
though what Alan Robertson thinks of it? In any case, before you can
figure out how you can best obtain 100 MB/s, you need to know what kind
of files are used: lots of small files, or a few very large files. And I
assume that GFS is not a direct filesystem itself, but a layer on top of
other filesystems to distribute them? No matter what you choose, you
probably will have to have large SCSI drives (higher cluster density) at
high rpm, e.g., U160 drives at 10k rpm, 36 GB, in RAID 0 or RAID 10,
using two U160 channels for each machine if needed. For a cluster, that
can be expensive. I have not played with network storage, but a single
network storage device with oodles (think of this as something far
beyond "kilo, mega, and tera", and OodleByte) of bandwidth and doing
nothing but serving files and bandwidth over gigabit fiber. Frankly, I
cannot imagine a cluster of machines with sustained disk throughput of
100 MB/s without lots of cash.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi.com

PS: Has the client stated why the GFS is so important?