[lug] Clustering and GFS

Jeff Schroeder jeff at neobox.net
Thu Sep 12 15:23:38 MDT 2002

D. wrote:

> In any case, before
> you can figure out how you can best obtain 100 MB/s, you need to know
> what kind of files are used: lots of small files, or a few very large
> files.

It's image-processing stuff, so there are a handful of gigantic files.

> Frankly, I cannot imagine a cluster of
> machines with sustained disk throughput of 100 MB/s without lots of
> cash.

The disks themselves (over which I have no control) are in the $30,000
range and use fiber channel for the high data rates.  So yes, there's
definitely a recognition that a filesystem with the throughput and
accessibility desired is going to cost a bundle.

> PS: Has the client stated why the GFS is so important?

The disks being used are a custom hardware solution which have only been
tested with GFS.  While it's certainly possible to hash over the merits
and detriments of all sorts of filesystems, the client is sticking to
this point.

Sigh.

Jeff