[lug] Clustering and GFS

Alan Robertson alanr at unix.sh
Thu Sep 12 20:13:54 MDT 2002

D. Stimits wrote:
> Jeff Schroeder wrote:
>
>> D. wrote:
>>

>>> In any case, before
>>> you can figure out how you can best obtain 100 MB/s, you need to know
>>> what kind of files are used: lots of small files, or a few very large
>>> files.
>>

>> It's image-processing stuff, so there are a handful of gigantic files.
>

> SGI designed XFS to handle enormous files that were being used for
> graphics/sound rendering and editing/polygon-crunching on large
> clusters. You will not find any other underlying filesystem that can
> handle (efficiently) that much data  on large files with continuous
> output. And it is journaling.
>

>>> Frankly, I cannot imagine a cluster of
>>> machines with sustained disk throughput of 100 MB/s without lots of
>>> cash.
>>

>> The disks themselves (over which I have no control) are in the $30,000
>> range and use fiber channel for the high data rates.  So yes, there's
>> definitely a recognition that a filesystem with the throughput and
>> accessibility desired is going to cost a bundle.
>>

>>> PS: Has the client stated why the GFS is so important?
>>

>> The disks being used are a custom hardware solution which have only
>> been tested with GFS.  While it's certainly possible to hash over the
>> merits and detriments of all sorts of filesystems, the client is
>> sticking to this point.
>

> But what is GFS? Is it the base filesystem, or is it a layer over the
> real filesystem? For example, NFS is called a filesystem, but it always
> has something else *under* it, e.g., an exported ext2 partition. Or is
> GFS natively a base filesystem that also does something more?

GFS is an honest parallel filesystem.  It's a real filesystem where each
machine has direct access to the disks.  If any machine dies, the others go
right on without missing much of a beat.    They also work together with
some RAID controllers (and some disks) to do some kind of fancy locking in
the hardware.  This is probably why they are insisting on GFS - they
probably bought those disks or controllers.

	-- Alan Robertson
	   alanr at unix.sh