[lug] Background 3D rendering for Linux

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Thu Sep 12 22:13:25 MDT 2002

John Starkey wrote:
> FYI, from the makers of Plasma:
>
> http://www.digitalproducer.com/2002/09_sep/news/09_09/discreet_burn.htm
>
> Not the complete package, but it's a step. Discreet's cool, regardless.
>
> John

This is actually the beginning of more and more businesses that have
render farms for rent. I recently went to a demonstration of Maya
software's new release (animation software for the really big computer
shops, or anyone who is serious), as well as to Colorado Game Developers
group, and on more than one occasion seen reference to companies that
either directly do this for a business, or else rent out spare computing
power to others. I don't know how many of them use Linux to do this, but
I would say from the "gist" that about 90% use something UNIX-like, and
probably at least 2/3 of those Linux. [incidentally, Maya is rather nice
in that it has Linux versions that are *real* versions; the guy who did
the Maya demo is a lead animator of the television series "Lexx", and
also advertised a new render farm business, but I don't know if it is
Linux based...I seriously doubt it would be NT based]

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi.com