[lug] Ethernet sound card - digital solution

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Sat Sep 14 14:21:09 MDT 2002

John Dollison wrote:
> Something I completely forgot about....
> Many modern sound cards have Dolby 5.1 surround sound, and include a digital
> output channel.  That digital signal can be hooked up to the input of most
> modern stereo systems.  Since it's all digital, from hard drive to stereo
> system, there should be 0.0% signal loss and distortion.

Most people don't realize that the S/PDIF in/out is a serial standard
that works both in optical and copper, depending on the connector. I
don't know what the length restrictions are for copper, or cable
characteristics, but it is a digital serial. On the other hand, some
sound equipment accepts "lossy" compressions (though very hard to
hear...far less than typical analog problems), such as mini-disk
portable records, but others use lossless (full size equipment, but it
is compatible to mix). Optical would be too expensive to wire a house
with, but if copper had a reasonable house wiring length possibility, it
just might do the job, and it could deal with 5.1 if the hardware on
both ends could. In that case, loss would be related only to whether
lossy or lossless compressions were used by the hardware at the ends (in
the case of lossy, I think this is only during record, playback is of
course irrelevant, decompression doesn't care). Connectors that fit with
standard cables (patch cables between perhaps a home theater and a
minidisk) are about $15 each, but vary a lot in price.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi.com