[lug] Ethernet sound card - digital solution

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Sat Sep 14 15:14:20 MDT 2002

Peter Hutnick wrote:
>>just might do the job, and it could deal with 5.1 if the hardware on
>>both ends could. In that case, loss would be related only to whether
>>lossy or lossless compressions were used by the hardware at the ends (in
>>the case of lossy, I think this is only during record, playback is of
>>course irrelevant, decompression doesn't care).http://media.fastclick.net/w/click.here?cid=5116&mid=13400&sid=6044&m=2&c=259&type=pc
>

> Okay, does anyone know of any way to go wireless between some sort of
> digital out on a sound card and in on a receiver?

The S/PDIF is serial digital, and I think it has chips available that go
to/from rs-232c, as well as having D/A and A/D converters on some of
them. I am *guessing* price of such chips to be about $30, and probably
include the connector...more of a hydrid module than pure chip (I have
only shopped for connectors, not modules, but I seem to recall seeing
references to such hybrid modules). Some URLs that might be of use:
  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/HAN/docs/sp-dif.html
  http://www.andrewkilpatrick.org/projects/spdif/
  http://links.epanorama.net/links/audiodigital.html#spdif
    http://documents.epanorama.net/documents/audio/spdif.html

Save this as something.html (it is not pure txt), then open it with a
browser:
  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/HAN/docs/sp-dif.txt

At the time I was looking into this, I was musing over the possibility
of using the optical in on some sound cards as an advanced joystick and
input device interface (that can record flight simulations or other
control inputs as an audio file for later playback, especially in
conjunction with animation software), or else just incorporating the
connectors and standards directly with bare-bones hardware (I believe it
would work, but I have no money to experiment with).

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi.com