OT: microcontrollers (Was: Re: [lug] solid-state embedded linux box?)

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Sep 18 19:42:51 MDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-09-18 at 17:15, Ed Hill wrote:

> Though I'm not an embedded developer, I'm becoming interested in the
> small (PC-104 form factor or similar), cheap, and x86-compatible systems
> as advertised in Linux Journal and Linux Magazine.  In our lab, we have
> many serial- (both USB and RS-232) and parallel-port devices.  It would
> be convenient if we could control them using unobtrusive little PC-104-
> sized systems that were running Linux and allowed SSH and HTTP
> connections.

This sounds like a job for a terminal server.  I haven't bought one in
years, but there was a company in Ft. Collins made up of ex-HP folks
that made really nice ones.  I've not seen any with USB, but I've never
looked for such a beast either.

I've seen people build their own under Linux with Cyclades cards and
similar for high serial port densities also.

Nate