[lug] Building from source

Michael Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Thu Sep 19 12:23:21 MDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-09-19 at 11:47, John Dollison wrote:
> Thanks for the tip.  I've got RedHat 7.3, and I'll look at the CD's and see
> if I can find it...
> Next time I do a Linux install, I think I'll just make a bigger partition,
> and install all the packages!

If you do, be very careful about which services are running.  Some
distributions assume that if you install a package, you must want to
activate it.  So if you install all packages you end up with security
nightmare.  Your box will run services you've never even heard of.

You should be able to install gcc by executing "up2date gcc" on RedHat.

Michael