[lug] Unix vs. Linux programming for TCP/IP

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Fri Sep 20 07:34:57 MDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 00:13, D. Stimits wrote:
> >    Stevens's Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment (APUE)
> >    Stevens's TCP/IP programming series (3 volumes)
> >    Comer's Internetworking with TCP/IP (3 volumes)
> >
> > Any opinions?

These are the bibles of on the subject.  You don't get much better than
these.  I've been using the Steven's APUE book for probably 10 years or
so - never even had to buy newer editions - and have applied it to many
different flavors of Unix.  I'm using the older versions of the Steven's
networking text (which was only one volume) on a project right now
(anyone know if accept() will reuse a socket id that was just released
with close()? Or does it cycle up through it's highest value before
trying to reuse id's?).

> You might find that in some places headers are different for a given set
> of functionality, but with rgrep it isn't hard to find the correct
> headers in the rare case that they don't match.

On Linux, just use locate (assuming that was turned on in your
distribution):

locate stdio.h | grep include

That will show you where stdio.h is located within include directories.
All system include files (which these books reference) would be under
/usr/include.  Some header files have slightly different names, but
those are few and far between.

--
Michael J. Hammel                               The Graphics Muse
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
http://www.graphics-muse.com