[lug] Cleaning up /var when it gets too full

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Sep 23 03:49:05 MDT 2002

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 10:01:22PM -0600, Bear Giles wrote:
>This may seem like a lot of effort, but experience shows that it
>eliminates a *lot* of problems.  It's a lot like that old commercial

Unfortunately, on systems without a nice LVM and online resizable
filesystems, creating a bunch of partitions tends to create a lot more
problems than it eliminates...  Unless you have a really good idea up front
what the high water mark of /var/tmp, /var/log, /var/spool, etc are, you're
likely to run out of space in some of them while others have plenty to
spare...

Mostly I'm going with simpler partitioning schemes -- always a /boot up
front on the disc, then usually either just a / or a / and /home.

Then I just set up monitoring to let me know if it gets above a certain
percentage utilization.  Often this percentage can be fairly low, so I have
tons of time to clean up anything that's using up a lot of disc space.

Sean
--
 Obtuse: Not pointed or acute. Exceeding 90 degrees but less than 180 degrees.
 OOOooh!  Rounded at the free end.  Dull...  Hey!  That's an insult!  -- WKRP