[lug] Basic Guidance Solicited

John Dollison johndollison at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 23 22:26:19 MDT 2002

I'm pretty much a newbie myself, but I've tried Mandrake 9.0 beta, KRUD Red
Hat 7.3, and Caldera eDesktop 2.4.  Red Hat wouldn't do the graphical
install without crashing toward the end, so I had to do a text-based install
on that one.  And Caldera just changed back to SCO Linux, and is now merging
into United Linux, and I think they're gonna tank.

Anyway, they all look pretty much the same once installed, but Mandrake was
the only one that detected all my hardware correctly without any effort from
me.  It even got my sound card and wheel-mouse working, which was a pain
under the other distro's.  So I'd suggest Mandrake.

John D.

.