[lug] [OT] WIC T1 or 56k

TJ Schuler timothy.schuler at attbi.com
Thu Sep 26 00:28:19 MDT 2002

This is correct. A DS0 by definition in the US is a 64K channel - the
difference between 56K and 64K is how the equipment handles the actual zeros
and ones on the line. DS-1 lines require no more that 15 "0" bits before a
"1" bit being sent. This is a requirement to keep timing on the line
correct.

Anyways one of the ways to do this is to make every 8th bit a "1" and only
use the first 7 bits for the data. This is how we get 56K service with DDS.

The other way to do this is to use a mechanism like B8ZS, which replaces
blocks of 8 zeros with the B8ZS code value. So you have a 64k timeslot but a
certain amount is overhead, some say it is 56K usable - but it really
varies.

I like to use the example of videoconferencing of the WAN. In the old days
with H.320 we used to channalize a T1 and use certain timeslots for data and
certain for video.  Now this worked fine and looked alright the problem was
that you couldn't ever use the "video" timeslots for data if they were not
being utilized. This is similar to the 7/8 method used in DDS. Now with
H.323 and Video over IP we can dynamically allocate the bandwidth to the
video over the data timeslots and reclaim that bandwidth when not in
use -works just as good if not better and a lot more flexible.

--TJ

TJ Schuler, CCIE #8800
Coleman Technologies, Inc.
720-981-4276 Office Phone