[lug] knoppix - linux+openoffice+mozilla on a bootable cd....

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Thu Sep 26 14:54:43 MDT 2002

Knoppix is great.  I just downloaded it, burned a CD, popped it in a
windows laptop, and I've a demo and usable system with ssh,
openoffice, kde, gnome, ethereal, mozilla, etc.
Configured the sound on my dell laptop just fine.

Offers a selection of three tracks from openmusic, available
under the openmusic "green" license (gpl-like)
        http://openmusic.linuxtag.org/showitem.php?item=220&lang=

Gotta keep this in my backpack....

http://www.knoppix.com/

There are other recovery cds and demo cds, and I can't compare
this one from personal experience, but it works hard to compress
a lot of stuff (1.7 GB) on the CD.

KNOPPIX is capable of booting remotely via PXE from a server already
running KNOPPIX.  Temporarilly turn a whole lab into linux machines
with one CD....

Notes:
	Debian-based.  openoffice.  developer stuff.
	16 MB of RAM for text mode, at least 96 MB for graphics mode
	with KDE (at least 128 MB of RAM is recommended to use the
	various office products), can use swap partition if available
   ftp://source.rfc822.org/pub/mirror/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V3.1-10-09-2002b-EN.iso

   A lot of older CD-writers will not burn Knoppix since it is 700MB

Another likely option:

 http://www.demolinux.org/ - based on debian - Xvesa X server - Paris VII Univ.
   You can now try to install DemoLinux 3 on your hard disk.
   Be sure you have an empty hard disk (or disk partition) at hand

Cheers,

Neal McBurnett                 http://bcn.boulder.co.us/~neal/
GPG/PGP signed and/or sealed mail encouraged.  Keyid: 2C9EBA60