[lug] PostgresSQL user mapping question

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Fri Sep 27 16:23:19 MDT 2002

> postgres:~$ createdb -U ocw ocwdb
> psql: FATAL 1:  IDENT authentication failed for user "ocw"

For each linux machine involved, be sure port 113 is open. Also, make
sure the identd service is running on each machine (if you can "telnet
localhost 113", it is running)...if Redhat, use chkconfig to list/alter
runlevels of identd. For redhat, runlevels 2-5 on are appropriate.

I'm not sure when it applies, but in some cases it may be necessary for
user ID numbers from /etc/passwd to be the same on both remote and local
systems...I wouldn't go mucking with UID's, but you might go to the docs
for this issue if starting identd fails to do the job.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi.com